Posts for tag: Dental hygiene
Proper brushing and flossing are essential for your dental health. Brush up on your cleaning routine and come see Dr. Steven Riesenberg, your Washington, NJ dentist at Washington Family Dentistry for regular cleanings.
Brushing your teeth may seem simple enough, but several common mistakes could be keeping you from getting the best possible clean out of your brushing routine. These are the most common mistakes people make brushing their teeth. If you're doing anything on this list, adjust your routine and come to Washington Family Dentistry in Washington, NJ, for a cleaning.
- Not brushing long enough. You should brush your teeth for at least two minutes, twice a day. Try setting a timer to meet this goal.
- Brushing too hard. Scrubbing too hard in the mouth can actually damage your gums. Gentle brushing is best for removing food and plaque.
- Keeping your toothbrush too long. When the bristles of your brush start to look frayed, it is no longer as effective and needs to be replaced. The ADA recommends changing your toothbrush every 3-4 months.
- Improper technique. Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums to brush the surfaces of the teeth. Also, brush the chewing surfaces, and hold your brush vertically to clean the insides of the front teeth.
- Brushing right after eating. It's actually best to wait up to 60 minutes after eating to brush. Drinking water or chewing sugarless gum are good ways to freshen your breath while you wait to brush.
- Storing your toothbrush improperly. Make sure you store your toothbrush upright where it has a chance to completely dry out. In a closed or damp space, germs multiply easier.
- Skipping flossing. Flossing is just as important as brushing your teeth for preventing cavities. Floss at least once a day to remove food stuck between the teeth.
Even when doing your best to care for your teeth at home, it's still important to come in for annual cleanings. Call Washington Family Dentistry at 908-689-5129. Dr. Steven Riesenberg in Washington, NJ, is here for all your dental needs.